Re: How to localize keyEquivalent="q"?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: How to localize keyEquivalent="q"?
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2010 09:46:32 +0100

On 26 Jun 2010, at 21:27, Yavor Doganov wrote:

> Paul Chany wrote:
>> OK but GNUstep doesn't support accelerators for menus/buttons, right?
>
> TTBOMK, it does not.
>
>> Why not?
>
> Not sure, but several reasons (or a combination) come to mind:
>
> 1) Nobody bothered to implement this functionality.
> 2) Apple does not support it (I don't actually know what Apple
>   supports or not -- this is just a wild guess), which often leads to
>   less motivation for 1).
> 3) There's been little or practically no users' interest, which means
>   less incentive for 1) as well.
> 4) You name it.  Free software projects are what they are, and that's
>   how it should be.

5) I'm pretty sure we'd be happy to accept patches from anyone who did want to
implement this functionality.

If you're going to implement it, however, it would be nice to emulate the OS X
functionality, where you simply start typing the name of the menu item you
want, and it jumps to the correct one.  This has the nice advantage that it
doesn't need any localisation support - it is automatically localised when the
menu item text is localised.

David