Re: How to localize keyEquivalent="q"?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: How to localize keyEquivalent="q"?
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 23:22:38 +0100

On 24 Jun 2010, at 19:22, Robert Slover wrote:

> The Command-z came along much later, along with Undo, and I can't justify it.
>  The others I remember reading explanations of long ago.  The title that
> comes to mind is "The Macintosh is not a Typewriter!", but that may not be
> the right book.

I could be making this up, but I seem to recall that command-z was chosen for
its location.  The z is in the bottom-left corner on a qwerty keyboard and it
right next to command, making this an easy to type.  Given Raskin's
everything-must-be-undoable belief, this makes sense; backtracking if you do
something wrong should be easy.

Which, by the way, introduces another problem with localising shortcuts.  Some
are chosen based on their location on the keyboard, not their letter.  These
should (in an ideal world) be localised to the keyboard layout, rather than to
the language.  I'm not sure if OS X does this, but some other operating /
windowing systems do.

David

-- Sent from my brain