Re: Localization with the '_(X)' macro

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Localization with the '_(X)' macro
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 13:41:54 +0100

I have run make_strings and get Localizable.strings both in
Croatian.lproj and in Hungaria.lproj directories. eg.:

[...]

After that I run make and get Window.app without errors and warnings.
But when I run Window.app in Hungarian or Croatian Environment it still print 'Hello!' instead of 'Jó napot' or 'Dobar dan!' on the xterm. What
am I missing here?

Can you provide the full source code ? That would make it easier to help ;-)

If I have to guess, may you have not added the new languages to your GNUmakefile,
so the translation files were not installed into the application ?

Check in your final ./Windows.app that is created when you compile, the Localizable.strings files for Hungarian and Croatian are in there (they should be in a subdirectory). If there are
not in there, obviously the application can't translate the strings ;-)

If that's the case, you need to add to your GNUmakefile something like the following --

Windows_LOCALIZED_RESOURCE_FILES = Localizable.strings

Windows_LANGUAGES = Hungarian Croatian
this will tell gnustep-make about your two new languages, and that you have a Localizable.strings
file in these languages to bundle with the application. :-)
Let me know if that doesn't help - if it doesn't, you probably should provide us with the source code
so we can have a look :-)
Thanks