Re: getting gnustep to work

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: getting gnustep to work
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 14:11:44 +0100

On 10 Sep 2010, at 04:24, stolennomenclature wrote:

> First I would like to ask if anyone can help me solve this problem?

Yes, the problem is trivial.  As it says on every single GNUstep tutorial,
before compiling code you need to source the GNUstep.sh file (installed by
default in System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh), to correctly configure the
environment variables that GNUstep Make needs.

> Second I would like to ask if anyone knows why the developers are able to
> write such a complex piece of code (gnustep and all its sophisticated
> libraries) and yet seem unable to write a simple and effective means of
> installing it?

gmake && sudo -E gmake install seems pretty simple and effective to me - that's
all I've ever needed to install any of the GNUstep libraries on FreeBSD,
OpenBSD, Fedora, or Solaris 10.

David

-- Send from my Jacquard Loom