Re: getting gnustep to work

From: stolennomenclature
Subject: Re: getting gnustep to work
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 01:15:24 -0700 (PDT)

Success.

Finally got the Windows version working. As suggested, I used the Msys shell
- but this time when trying to source the file, i used ".
GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh" instead of ".
Users/myname/GNUstep/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh"". I had
not allowed for the way the shell maps the directories. Gnustep is actually
installed to "c:/Users/myname/GNUstep" but apparently the shell knows this
is the root so it should not be entered. I had not realised that. The
GNUstep.sh file is actually in
"c:\users\myname\GNUstep\GNUstep\System\Library\Makefiles" directory.

Nearly all the attempts I made previously was from a standard Windows
command shell, where the proper full path had to be entered. Also,
previously i installed to "C:\GNUstep" rather than
"c:\users\myname\GNUstep". I changed to the users directory as I have better
permissions to this directory, just in case the problem I was having was
permissions related.

I did also this time notice the information re "sourcing" the GNUstep.sh
file - it is in the manual.pdf file in the part that describes how to write
a first simple program, not with the installation instructions, which
probably explains why I did not notice it when I did the install. Anyway,
that's my excuse and i'm sticking with it.

Anyway, thank you to all those who offered their help. No doubt I will need
more before the week is out.