Painting gnustep-gui into OpenGL

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Painting gnustep-gui into OpenGL
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 15:45:40 +0200

Cheers!

Has anyone tried using a GNUstep graphical application inside an OpenGL context? It seems to me this should be possible using Cairo backend, but I'd like to know if anyone has tried this before attempting this. Painting directly inside any kind of graphical memory (directly on top of framebuffer, into SDL memory, into GL texture) counts as well, especially with custom event injection.

Using GNUstep as an integrated GUI in a 3D game would be awesome. I have a very messy half-baked GUI solution written in C++, and at work folks have developed another GUI (aprilui). There's CEGUI, there's tons of GUIs out there, but none with the elegance I perceive *Step to have.

Opening separate, true x11/win32/osx windows is not what I have in mind, since games are fullscreen and their GUI is an integral part of the game.

--
Ivan Vučica
ivan@vucica.net