Re: ANN: GNUstep 2.6.0 for openSUSE 11.4

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: ANN: GNUstep 2.6.0 for openSUSE 11.4
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 21:50:36 +0100

On 14 Jun 2011, at 21:43, Nat! wrote:

> Am 10.06.2011 um 03:08 schrieb Richard Stonehouse:
>
>> GNUstep 2.6.0 for openSUSE 11.4
>> *******************************
>>

> Ok, two more questions popped up:
>
> I am trying to build UnitKit. I can build the framework. When I say make
> install, this framework then gets installed (by GNUstep make) into
> /usr/local/lib/GNUstep/Frameworks.
>
> But, the compiler doesn't find the headers when compiling the tool. So
>
> #import <UnitKit/UKRunner.h> fails
>
> Even if I give it -F/usr/local/lib/GNUstep/Frameworks, it makes no
> differences.
>
> If I create a symlink in /usr/local/include
>
> ln -s /usr/local/lib/GNUstep/Frameworks/UnitKit.framework/Headers UnitKit
>
> it works.

Odd.  UnitKit in the Étoilé repository installs correctly.  That symlink should
be created by [g]make install...

> Secondly, where is objc_msgSend (or objc_msg_send as it's probably called in
> GNUstep) ? There is a reference in the headers, but it's nowhere declared,
> which I find a bit peculiar/troubling.

objc_msgSend() is an implementation detail of the NeXT and Apple runtimes.  It
is not possible to implement in a portable fashion, so the GCC and GNUstep
runtimes use a different approach.  For portable code, use
class_getMethodImplementation() and then call the returned function.

David

-- Sent from my brain