Re: ANN: GNUstep 2.6.0 for openSUSE 11.4

From: Nat!
Subject: Re: ANN: GNUstep 2.6.0 for openSUSE 11.4
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 23:38:58 +0200

Am 14.06.2011 um 22:50 schrieb David Chisnall:

> On 14 Jun 2011, at 21:43, Nat! wrote:
>

>> #import <UnitKit/UKRunner.h> fails
>>
>> Even if I give it -F/usr/local/lib/GNUstep/Frameworks, it makes no
>> differences.
>>
>> If I create a symlink in /usr/local/include
>>
>> ln -s /usr/local/lib/GNUstep/Frameworks/UnitKit.framework/Headers UnitKit
>>
>> it works.
>
> Odd.  UnitKit in the Étoilé repository installs correctly.  That symlink
> should be created by [g]make install...

I checked it out, but it has the same problem. But anyway now I know, that I am
supposed to have a symlink right there, so that's Ok.

>> Secondly, where is objc_msgSend (or objc_msg_send as it's probably called in
>> GNUstep) ? There is a reference in the headers, but it's nowhere declared,
>> which I find a bit peculiar/troubling.
>
> objc_msgSend() is an implementation detail of the NeXT and Apple runtimes.
> It is not possible to implement in a portable fashion, so the GCC and GNUstep
> runtimes use a different approach.  For portable code, use
> class_getMethodImplementation() and then call the returned function.

Hmm interesting, though I don't see offhand, why dividing  what objc_msgSend
does  into separate steps makes it inherently more portable. I will have to
look into my code, to see if its feasible to roll my own objc_msgSend, (because
I use it a lot as I found out :) ).

Ah and one more question, regarding forwarding is __objc_msg_forward (instead
of __objc_msg_forward2) ever really used or can I ignore it, when I run atop a
current runtime ?

Thanks for the help
   Nat!
Wer nichts weiß, muss viel glauben -- H. Kaminski