Re: ANN: Paje 1.98

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: ANN: Paje 1.98
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 18:34:49 +0100

 Hi,

On Thursday, December 22, 2011 12:20 CET, Lucas Schnorr <schnorr@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 12/22/2011 09:00 AM, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
> > I was thinking about making a port of Paje for OpenBSD.
>
> That would be great! Feel free to suggest changes to Paje if necessary.

when compiling, I get this warning about a missing header:
cc DrawView+Drawing.m -c \
      -MMD -MP -I/usr/local/include -DGNUSTEP -DGNUSTEP_BASE_LIBRARY=1
-DGNU_GUI_LIBRARY=1 -DGNU_RUNTIME=1 -DGNUSTEP_BASE_LIBRARY=1 -fno-stric
t-aliasing -fexceptions -fobjc-exceptions -D_NATIVE_OBJC_EXCEPTIONS -fPIC -g
-DDEBUG -fno-omit-frame-pointer -Wall -DGSWARN -DGSDIAGNOSE -Wno-
import -I/usr/local/include -fgnu-runtime
-fconstant-string-class=NSConstantString -I../General -I. -I/usr/local/include
-I/paje-1.98_writes_t
o_HOME/GNUstep/Library/Headers -I/usr/local/include \
       -o obj/SpaceTimeViewer.obj/DrawView+Drawing.m.o
DrawView+Drawing.m:26:20: warning: values.h: No such file or directory

which, IIRC may lead to an error when compiled with clang, or newer gcc.

Otherwise I get some warnings regarding incompatible pointer types of
arguments, which may, as far as I know, lead to weird errors on some "not so
common" platforms.

If you are interested, I can send you the whole build output.

> > I found the
> > things under the "Monitor" in the main window unreadable, see the
> > screenshot. I tested with GNUstep base/gui/back from svn, using cairo
> > backend on i386 and macppc. I guess it should be readable or?
>
> Paje groups event types that are children of the same container type to
> save vertical space. In this example, the event types "Thread Data" and
> "Monitor Event" are children of of the "Thread" container type. One way
> to avoid this is to change the shapes of these event types. You can do
> that by Tools -> Shapes & Sizes, selecting the appropriate event types
> and increasing the height dimension of one of them.
>
> But I agree with you that this should work directly.

At a first glance it seemed, there are two separate boxes for the Thread Data
and Monitor Events, but they seem to be on top of each other. I managed to
change the sizes, but the Monitor Events always seems to align to the bottom,
and there the Thread Data is written on top of it (or behind). See new
screenshot.

Sebastian

> > I only
> > tested with the test trace that comes with the sources. When I had it
> > open, and then quit Paje, it segfaults, see the backtrace below.
> > Someone knows what's wrong there?
>
> A known bug that is on my TODO list for a while. I'll try to fix it for
> the next release.

Ah, OK, then good to know that its not just me ;)

> > Otherwise, it seems to work well.
>
> Cool, let me know if you have any issues.
>
> One of the things I would like to do is to find an easy way to trace
> objective-c applications [1] so developers can visualize their execution
> using Paje's space/time view. I think that will be beneficial for the
> GNUstep community.

Yes, that would be indeed great I think.

Sebastian

> Regards
> Lucas
>
> [1]: lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnustep/2011-05/msg00149.html

PNG image