Re: GNUmail on NetBSD

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: GNUmail on NetBSD
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 12:43:38 +0200

On Friday, April 13, 2012 12:08 CEST, Riccardo Mottola
<riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
> >
> > On Friday, April 13, 2012 09:41 CEST, Riccardo
> > Mottola<riccardo.mottola@libero.it>  wrote:
> >
> > There is also LUserNet, the NNTP Client.
> >
> > Sebastian
> >
> I long stopped using NNTP for all gnustep mailing lists and use email
> (although I dislike that, I prefer newsgroups for discussions...).
> Does it still work? Whomaintains it? If it is orphaned it should perhaps
I think its totally abandoned, I found a tarball on the wayback machine, and I
think some Linux distros still have packages for it. Don't know who is the
author, and whether he is still around.
But the last time I looked into it, sometime last year, it was generally
working. I still have a large bunch of patches around to compile it without
warnings. Then it was also able to connect to NNTP Servers. It had some
problems with showing some message right, with regard to the encoding of the
messages.

> go in the same repository as gnumail, so that it can be concurrently
> checked.
For me, I'd prefer it to be on GAP, also GNUmail/Pantomime there ;) Since there
I have direct access to the CVS.
GNUstep non-fsf would be just another SW project where I need to maintain
access ...

I still think that all those GNUstep apps should not be scattered too much over
the web. Having one site where you find "most", like an App Store ;) Abandoned
bitrotted Apps, scattered all around the web, do not put a good light on
GNUstep as a whole.
In a central repository like GAP, others could take over if the main developer
looses interest in the App. Even if not developing it further,
I think just taking care to let the app not bitrot, is very important. See the
success of the Apps we added to GAP over the last year.

But that's probably only matter of personal taste, and I may run against walls
here, but still trying from time to time to get trough ;)

cheers,
Sebastian