Re: Gnustep Application: GSBurn

From: Andreas Schik
Subject: Re: Gnustep Application: GSBurn
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 10:15:27 +0200

Hello Riccardo,

Am 16.04.2012 14:20, schrieb Riccardo Mottola:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering how GSBurn is going on... I am confused also between the
> relationship of Burn and CDPlayer. CDplayer was released last in 2011,
> Burn in 2005
> I remember Sebastian writing about them. CDPlayer relies on features
> that some cd drives do not support anymore.
> Burn however, qhich looksquite interesting to me, is based on cdrtools,
> which I rememebr to use on linux and solaris, but I also remember that
> for a certain time they were broken and there was discussion about how
> things "broke" with linux. I don't know what the current state of the
> art is.
>
> I wonder if it makes sense to revive the application? Is the author
> still around and active?

yes, I am still around and a regular reader of gnustep-discuss :-)
After some years of silence/inactivity due to workload, family, hobbies
etc. I have recommenced work on Burn in last year's autumn (thanks to
Sebastian, who kind of urged me to and who contributed some patches ;-).
The CVS HEAD on SF.net is already usable (I have some minor glitches,
mostly displaying progress issues) and as time allows there will be a
new official release in the next couple of weeks.

As for the brokenness of cdrtools on Linux, this refers to the forked
Debian variants (wodim et. al.). I cannot guarantee that Burn works
flwlessly with those, but it will with the original cdrtools by J.
Schilling (I do my testing against them).

The fact that CDPlayer does no longer work on modern systems is due to
the fact that vendors nowadays save a few pennies on each machine by
omitting the audio cable. Usually, computers today are powerful enough
to read the data via the bus and decode it to audio. Unfortunately, the
library used (libcdaudio) does not support that. Due to my limited time
ressources I am currently not able to switch to another solution. But
maybe there are others around who have an interest in fixing that :-)

--
Grüße / Cheers

Andreas Schik