Re: Gnustep Application: GSBurn

From: Stefan Bidi
Subject: Re: Gnustep Application: GSBurn
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 08:09:11 -0500

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 3:15 AM, Andreas Schik <andreas.schik@googlemail.com> wrote:
Hello Riccardo,

yes, I am still around and a regular reader of gnustep-discuss :-)
After some years of silence/inactivity due to workload, family, hobbies
etc. I have recommenced work on Burn in last year's autumn (thanks to
Sebastian, who kind of urged me to and who contributed some patches ;-).
The CVS HEAD on SF.net is already usable (I have some minor glitches,
mostly displaying progress issues) and as time allows there will be a
new official release in the next couple of weeks.

As for the brokenness of cdrtools on Linux, this refers to the forked
Debian variants (wodim et. al.). I cannot guarantee that Burn works
flwlessly with those, but it will with the original cdrtools by J.
Schilling (I do my testing against them).

The fact that CDPlayer does no longer work on modern systems is due to
the fact that vendors nowadays save a few pennies on each machine by
omitting the audio cable. Usually, computers today are powerful enough
to read the data via the bus and decode it to audio. Unfortunately, the
library used (libcdaudio) does not support that. Due to my limited time
ressources I am currently not able to switch to another solution. But
maybe there are others around who have an interest in fixing that :-)

I know you said you haven't had time to work on any of this, but have you taken a look at libcdio?  I don't know how portable it is, though.

--
Grüße / Cheers

Andreas Schik