Re: building gworkspace in a debian system where other components exist

From: Dan Hitt
Subject: Re: building gworkspace in a debian system where other components exist
Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 23:21:01 -0700

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Fred Kiefer <fredkiefer@gmx.de> wrote:
> It looks like GNUstep gui was linked against the already installed base
> version and not the new one. Perhaps you did not source GNUstep.sh from the
> new installation or the old directories are in your environment paths. It is
> possible to have multiple GNUstep installations on the same system, but this
> definitely isn't the setup you want to start with.
>
> Most likely the best way to proceed is to uninstall all the debian GNUstep
> packages you have and start from scratch again.

Thanks Fred.

So i followed your advice --- i started fresh, and installed
sufficient packages to build GNUstep, but did no package actually from
GNUstep.

I built GNUstep and GWorkspace 0.8.8.  GWorkspace sort of works, but
not completely.

If i type
   gopen -a gworkspace
on the command line, it comes up.

I put it in the dock (by dragging), but i cannot launch it from the
dock.  If i quit it, then double clicking on the dock icon has no
effect.

If i start it again from the command line the dock icon looses the
three dots, but two new icons are put in the dock.  One looks like the
gworkspace icon, and one looks like a recycling icon.  But the icons
do not seem to have the gray background or border that the gworkspace
icon has.

Also, if i right click on the gworkspace icon, window maker does not
get control it looks like (instead of getting a little 6-item menu
including "Settings" i get the entire GWorkspace menu).

I'm not sure if the icon right-clicking is the correct behavior or
not, but not being able to successfully double click the GWorkspace
icon sounds like something is not exactly right.

One thing that GWorkspace did do correctly was to create the ~/GNUstep
directory and Library and Defaults subdirectories.

Thanks in advance to anybody for help on how to fix up the
double-clicking issue.

dan