Re: Test on Ubuntu 12.04 64bits

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Test on Ubuntu 12.04 64bits
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 19:03:33 +0200

On 27.05.2012 17:52, Stefan Bidi wrote:
On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 10:11 AM, Fred Kiefer<fredkiefer@gmx.de>  wrote:
David's and your changes help a lot. The only remaining compiler warning I
get is this:

Compiling file CFTimeZone.c ...
CFTimeZone.c: In function ‘CFTimeZoneCreate’:
CFTimeZone.c:163:3: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break
strict-aliasing rules [-Wstrict-aliasing]
CFTimeZone.c:164:3: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break
strict-aliasing rules [-Wstrict-aliasing]
CFTimeZone.c:165:3: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break
strict-aliasing rules [-Wstrict-aliasing]

> I've known about this for sometime now, but not sure how to tell the
> compiler "trust me, I know what I'm doing this time!"

Not sure whom to trust here :-)
You access an array of four chars in the middle of a structure and want to use it as a pointer to an UInt32. This may work on most machines, but there is no guarantee that it will on all. You rather should implement the conversion to a SInt32 manually. On the other hand, that structure was carefully crafted to align these arrays correctly as long as the structure itself was aligned that way.

And the tests look much better as well:

CFString/format.m:
Failed test:     format.m:28 ... Float/Doubles are formatted correctly

Could I get your tests.log file?  Not sure why this would fail.  The
only explanation I've got is rounding error.

No, the problem is the locale I am using. You need to set a specific one to override the default one. In the German locale "," gets used instead of "." as the decimal separator:

Testing format.m...
Running CFString/format.m...
Passed test:     format.m:14 ... Characters are formatted correctly
Passed test:     format.m:21 ... Integers are formatted correctly
Failed test:     format.m:28 ... Float/Doubles are formatted correctly
expected 5.500000 5.5   3.000000e-06, but got 5,500000 5,5   3,000000e-06
Passed test:     format.m:35 ... Hexs are formatted correctly
Passed test:     format.m:42 ... Octals are formatted correctly
Passed test:     format.m:50 ... Strings are formatted correctly
Passed test:     format.m:57 ... Objects are formatted correctly
Completed file:  format.m

--- Running tests in CFTimeZone ---

CFTimeZone/general.m:
Failed test:     general.m:54 ... Daylight Saving time offset at 0 second
from absolute epoch is '3600.000000'.

I'll eventually fix this.

--- Running tests in CFTree ---
--- Running tests in CFURL ---
--- Running tests in CFURLAccess ---

CFURLAccess/basic.m:
Failed test:     basic.m:24 ... Directory was successfully created.

This is giving you an error because the test is trying to create a
directory that already exists.  It exists because the last time you
ran the test it crashed before cleaning up.  Running them again will
yield a different result now that it ran to the end and deleted
everything correctly.

True, now I am down to 2 errors!

    260 Passed tests
      2 Failed tests