Re: ContentView Offset

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: ContentView Offset
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 16:15:05 +0200

Perhaps it's EWMH:
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnustep/2001-12/msg00056.html

Looking at the source code of XGServerWindow.m and the gnustep-base documentation
  http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/Developer/Base/ProgrammingManual/manual_6.html
it looks like you should be able to pass --GNU-Debug=WM to see debug messages for the window management interaction code in XGServerWindow.m. (NSDebugLLog()'s "key" argument is "WM" in the function that prints out which window manager type was detected.)

Compiz should comply to EWMH stuff.

To find out what uses a certain value defined in a header, try using search for that value over other source files. For example, to find what uses constant XGWM_WINDOWMAKER, you could always use something like Midnight Commander ("mc") to search through files for that value. I use mc since it's easy to launch through Terminal and returns predictable results with neat UI for choosing a file to look more deeply into; if you have a better search tool, use that.

On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 4:17 AM, Steve Van Voorst <svanvoorst@hughes.net> wrote:
> I think the problem is at gnustep-back, in the way how gnustep interact with each window managers.

German,

Thanks for the information.  I have checked the code in gnustep-back-0.22.0 and found this in an x11 header file called XGGeneric.h (written 12 yr. ago)

/*
 * Flags to indicate which protocols the WindowManager follows
 */
typedef    enum {
  XGWM_UNKNOWN = 0,
  XGWM_WINDOWMAKER = 1,
  XGWM_GNOME = 2,
  XGWM_KDE = 4,
  XGWM_EWMH = 8
} XGWMProtocols;

I don't see Compiz listed, so if it's using these flags more than likely it is the XGWM_UNKNOWN flag.  There is also an 'Offsets' structure in this header.  Is there a way to find out who is calling this header?

Steve Van Voorst