"Missing" applications

From: Liam Proven
Subject: "Missing" applications
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 13:38:03 +0100

This may not be the sort of functionality that the GS devs are considering, but following recent discussions, I thought I would ask...

GNUstep contains most of the components needed to build up a complete desktop Linux distribution: window manager, desktop, launcher, terminal, calculator, plain text and rich text editors, image viewers, etc.

The main 3 things missing, it seems to me, are:
* an office suite
* a web browser
* a chat program (cf. Pidgin, not IRC)

Ubuntu has taken an interesting direction in providing Unity-integrated versions of such apps: they have written plugins for the off-the-shelf LibreOffice and Firefox programs to cause them to display Unity menu bars.

Whereas I realise it would not aid API compatibility, I wondered if it might be viable to examine these plugins and rewrite them to provide GNUstep-style menus etc. so that they integrated with the rest of the GNUstep desktop?

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884