Re: Comments on the website from people on twitter...

From: William F. Adams
Subject: Re: Comments on the website from people on twitter...
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 05:08:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Thursday, August 8, 2013 10:19:26 PM UTC-4, Gregory Casamento wrote:
> Also, regarding the "Dream of GNUstep" if you could tell me what everyone
> else is dreaming
>it would be helpful.  Obviously all of us on GNUstep are not dreaming the same
>thing
>everyone else seems to be.

I want a replacement for Macromedia Freehand / Altsys Virtuoso which doesn't
leave me beholden to Adobe. That's a PostScript-oriented vector-drawing program
w/ an elegant interface. Bonus if it supports creating vector brushes like
Creaturehouse Expression. Even better if it'd support METAPOST and allow one to
switch between drawing and coding.

I want a replacement for Notebook.app --- bonus if it supports inking and
bitmap editing / sketching.

I want a replacement for Lotus Improv which has undo and the nice 3D graphs
from Informix WingZ.

I want TeXshop (which is my replacement for TeXview.app) to ``just compile''.

I want LaTeXiT.app (which affords the TeX eq -> eps Service from TeXview.app)
to ``just compile''.

I want the programming tools to be so great that someone is able to easily
create a GNUstep front-end for LyX.

I want Services to work _everywhere_ and to be able to display a .pdf (or .eps)
and be confident it'll print (I guess Display GhostScript is gone? I find that
aspect of the project confusing).

I need to assemble a system which works on a portable machine w/ a Wacom
digitizer (supporting pressure input would be nice) and daylight-viewable
display which can replace my current system (a Fujitsu Stylistic ST-4121
running Windows XP Tablet PC edition, Autodesk Sketchbook, FutureWave
SmartSketch, Macromedia FreeHand, WinTeXshell, EverNote, Lotus Improv, &c.).

William