Re: Comments on the website from people on twitter...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Comments on the website from people on twitter...
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 22:37:24 +0200

Hi William,

your wants are far more than just some medium-term GNUstep goals. Your desires need a good support of Operating System to. Your desires express, at the end, stopping to be dependent of current proprietary applications and operating systems because they stopped existence or they went into a direction of development. You are, I think, touching the heart of existence of Open Source.

I think that we seek common goals and goals apparently shared with others, but often not told because developers speak up most often. A working "environment" of your taste, which works reliably and supports features you need. Everybody wants then his own set of applications and has different hardware necessities.

I want a replacement for Macromedia Freehand / Altsys Virtuoso which doesn't leave me beholden to Adobe. That's a PostScript-oriented vector-drawing program w/ an elegant interface. Bonus if it supports creating vector brushes like Creaturehouse Expression. Even better if it'd support METAPOST and allow one to switch between drawing and coding.

The only think going into that direction is Graphos which will probably never fully support your needs, you need a new more advanced project or perhaps a fork or port of some other existing application. However, Graphos may still prove useful for developing and testing stuff you need to support, read further below.

I want a replacement for Lotus Improv which has undo and the nice 3D graphs from Informix WingZ.
We have Flexisheet in GAP. It needs to be improved, debugged, completed. Only little has been done, except getting it open, imported and "cleaned enough to compile and start".

I want Services to work _everywhere_ and to be able to display a .pdf (or .eps) and be confident it'll print (I guess Display GhostScript is gone? I find that aspect of the project confusing).
Display post-script is gone as a backend, its integration with X11 was never good, other may have more details on that, but printing should print exactly the way you see it, as on Mac.

Right thanks to Graphos, there has been quite some improvement done on this sector, but there is still a lot to do regarding margins and pagination.

GSPdf is GNUstep's front-end to ghostscript, so it will display PS files, essentially like gv but with a nice interface. If you install it, you can use it to view easily the PS files generated from our backend. Draw something in graphos, print, see and put the windows side-by-side. Except margins I see that colors, paths, shapes and text get printed as I expect them.

I need to assemble a system which works on a portable machine w/ a Wacom digitizer (supporting pressure input would be nice) and daylight-viewable display which can replace my current system (a Fujitsu Stylistic ST-4121 running Windows XP Tablet PC edition, Autodesk Sketchbook, FutureWave SmartSketch, Macromedia FreeHand, WinTeXshell, EverNote, Lotus Improv, &c.).

This needs support for the hardware you need on the operating system, as a first thing. Afterwards all your nice apps you want on top of it.

I want about the same on other notebooks, so not to depend on Apple, my Workspace so not to have to endure the absurd Metro interface or 10.8 (and who knows next what comes in its iPhonization). I need more photographic oriented tools, a reliable email client, the standard tools of a "desktop" (finder, terminal, preferences and configuration), stuff like FTP. As you may know I work on many of them, thus I too need better development tools.
All this is of course a long, long road!

Tablet support on free OSs is at least spotty and also quite hard to configure sometimes.

To test the Graphos interface with a my Tablet, I run windows and an X server on windows and export display to it, because that way support is much better and consistent ;) On Gentoo it works quite well for me - except pressure support, which no GS app would support anyway currently, I used GIMP as a test.

Riccardo