Re: Comments on the website from people on twitter...

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: Comments on the website from people on twitter...
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 08:19:54 +0200

On Friday, August 9, 2013 04:00 CEST, Austin Clow <dr_clow@mac.com> wrote:

> What would be great if is I could get GNUstep to just install on FreeBSD
> following the instructions that are posted on the website.
>
> Here: http://www.gnustep.org/resources/sources.html
> FreeBSD
> cd /usr/ports/devel/gnustep
> make install clean
>
> Has never worked for me, it also suggested to me the first time that I tried
> installing it was that was all I needed to do. But then I learned about all
> the dependencies that may or may not be installed by using that command, and
> then I realized that I may never get it to work. Or something like that. So I
> stopped. I am sure that there are more on that list that have since no longer
> been able to work with the instructions because of how new distributions of
> the OS are configured.
>
> 20 websites later with various instructions and I still can't get it to work.
> I am far from a terminal wizard, but there always seems to be a "OH what you
> need to do is edit the configuration file for q3241q234rqwe on that version
> of FreeBSD" w.e.

I think David is working on updating the gnustep ports of FreeBSD, using clang,
libobjc2 etc. but I don't know about the current state of affairs there. If you
don't mind running OpenBSD, then:

cd /usr/ports/x11/gnustep
make install

OR
sudo pkg_add -i gnustep-desktop

will do the trick for you there ;) But its still with libobjc2-1.6.1 and
compiled with GCC. For OpenBSD 5.5 I plan on working on switching
compiling with clang to get all the features possible ;)

cheers,
Sebastian