Re: Comments on the website from people on twitter...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Comments on the website from people on twitter...
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 13:10:50 +0200

Hi,

Gregory Casamento wrote:
I've been developing on GNUstep for many years and it's never been a matter of editing a configuration file in order to get anything to work.
I develop on GNUstep for just a little less than you, but perhaps touched more platforms with it (although you used to run it on nice stuff too, remember Palermo?) and essentially all what was needed was getting the right dependencies and the correct configure + make parameters and flags.

You may "tweak" GNUstep conf, make.conf, isntallation domains. But that is tweaking the behaviour to your needs, you should get a working environment without touching them.

The goals of GNUstep are quite clear. Our goal is to create an API which is a clone of the latest version of Cocoa and to provide the best development environment on as many operating systems as we can.

Clone API-wise: that is, if we implement sometehing, it needs to behave as Cocoa. We may have additions that Cocoa doesn't have and the interface may be different, but the same code shall run. (E.g. we might not have Drawers, but our more OpenStep like Panel based implementation needs to behave the same)
Regarding the "Trying to support everything" question... this is actually not what is time consuming. The problem mainly is that Cocoa is a moving target and it moves quickly. We are 10-20 developers working part time on a project which has no funding and no company which formally backs it. The one thing we do get is a lot of feedback and absolutely no help. So, my suggestion is, if you're interested in making GNUstep easier to use and better on your particular platform, then join us and start doing so.

Exactly. I subscribe to this paragraph. Also "feedback" can be of more constructive one, with precise reports, reporducible stuff. Just saying "it is dead" or "it doesn't work" is of no help.
Good patches, separate, incremental is of course what is most desired.

Riccardo