Re: Gworkspace with non-fragile abi, etc?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Gworkspace with non-fragile abi, etc?
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 22:57:56 +0200

Hi
Lee, Seong-Gu wrote:
Dear GNUstep developers and users,
First thing: you address different problems of different applications: it is best to ask those in different emails. That way the answers will form a thread for each topic and not create a big lump.
1) GWorkspace with non-fragile abi
  Other usr applications (Gorm, SystemPreferences, etc.) work well except
GWorkspace when compiled with non-fragile abi.
<...>
  It seems to occur error when initializaing NSRect object with
NSZeroRect. However, same initialization code from other applications
did not make troubles. I cannot know whether NSStringDrawing.m in
gnustep-gui or GWorkspace source is wrong.
  When NSZeroRect was commented out and gnustep-gui was re-compiled, all
works well.
I have no clues here, there is no direct reference to GWorkspace itself. I mostly use GCC and clang and I know it works for both. If there is further evidence of a problem in GWorkspace itself, please tell me.
4) Localization resources
  GNUstep system and applications seem to comprised of many bundles and
frameworks which have thier own message resources. However, I cannot
figure out whether their resources are shared or separated.
  For example, SystemPrerences source tree is consist as like this:
I think you are here hitting generally the same point I made explicit i about SystemPreferences right a couple of days ago and got no answer. I was looking into localizing SystemPreferences better eight these days
  Though Localizable.strings and .gorm file in each source .lproj were
translated before compiling, compiled application still shows partial
translation. To comlete localization, resources at generated .app were
edited manually.
"partial" translation may mean different things. The application may not be complete or you are hitting the "bundle problem" I was hitting, which may perhaps not be a bug but just something missing which I don't know, that's why I asked.

Grossly said, your application my construct the interface by code or by using a Gorm/Nib file.

in Resources you will find English as the main language, which possinbly the interfaces (if used) and a Localizable string files.

Now, to provide a translation you may supply a whole new interface and a new Localizable string file: if the application is written to localize all strings not contained in the interface, this should work 100% (except Bundles).

Else, the app might be written to "localize" the interface by resetting all the text in the interface, so further languages will just need the strings file. This is a lot of work, but helps maintaining only one interface. Gworkspace is done that way.

  'make_strings' seems not to extract strings at files in sub-directories
(have not -r switch in grep, find). If sub-projects have own separated
string resource and aggregate to .app when compiled, it would be
appropriate. However, compiling does not seem to aggregate localized
resources.
It is a bit a mystery for me too. I need to regenerate GWorkspace's strings file which is obsolete, but I am unable to regenerate it as it is.

5) ProjectCenter
  ProjectCenter seems to import not .pbproj or .xcodeproj or GNUmakefile
but only .pcproj. GNUstep example applications are generated with
GNUmakefile not .pcproj. Buildtool and pbxbuild works at terminal. Is
there any IDE similar to XCode?
ProjectCenter is the IDE, although it is not as complete and usable as its graphical counterpart Form.

Examples use GNUmakefile because that's what ultimately gnustep-make uses.
ProjectCenter works a bit like OpenStep's ProjectBuilder, not Apple's: it creates the Makefiles for you and then runs make. That means a project done in PC can still be built with make (useful for packagers for example or for repeated building without starting Xcode, mixed development with another editor, etc). Be careful however not to edit them, or PC will overwrite them.

Riccardo