Re: Retreive installed gnustep version

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Retreive installed gnustep version
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2013 10:23:13 +0100

Hi,

Ivan Vučica wrote:
On 7. studenoga 2013. at 19:30:06, Liam Proven (lproven@gmail.com <mailto://lproven@gmail.com>) wrote:
> 1) they are packaged tremendously (breaking up packages in a sort fo
> gnome-ish layout), but alas, that mostly works

I do not understand this sentence.
I presume Riccardo *might* be referring to Debian attempting to make GNUstep’s applications conform to FHS-compliant layout of the rest of the system. Executables go here, data goes here, etc.
Exactly, I am referring to this:

/usr
/usr/bin
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/GNUstep
/usr/lib/GNUstep/Applications
/usr/lib/GNUstep/Applications/ViewPDF.app
/usr/lib/GNUstep/Applications/ViewPDF.app/stamp.make
/usr/lib/GNUstep/Applications/ViewPDF.app/ViewPDF
/usr/share
/usr/share/GNUstep
/usr/share/GNUstep/ViewPDF.app
/usr/share/GNUstep/ViewPDF.app/FitHeightOn.png
/usr/share/GNUstep/ViewPDF.app/Previous.png
/usr/share/GNUstep/ViewPDF.app/FitWidth.png

this is against the GNUstep Bundle concept.

If you have instead a real gnustep bundle, it is self-contained.

Do you know how easy it is in theory to install an application? copy it into /Local/Applications or if you prever it system-wide, then move it into /System/Applications or /Network/Applications

That's it. Why break it up? the purpose of "share" would be to share a resource but
1) gnustep "shares" the usage with frameworks, bundles, etc
2) if you put it in /usr/share/GNUstep/ViewPDF.app/Previous.png, it is a "fake" sharing, it is private to ViewPDF anyway. So it is fake compliance

So, at the end, I think you gain nothing, but break the toy.

I would, however, love to know more about what Debian maintainers did wrong (without having to check myself, that is) :-)

well, apart from the problem above, essentially some packages are very old. Some packages have been updated without upating core, so they are a mix. For a period they were totally broken due to some packages being compiled with a different gcc compiler than core, that has been solved.

To be honest, I actually stopped checking what exactly is wrong. The two problems above are the first stopper.

I have an old laptop where I periodically check for gnustep packages of "unstable", I have seen nothing new lately. Also, they broke X11 server on my laptop, so well, that isn't nice either, but totally unrelated.

Riccardo