Re: Retreive installed gnustep version

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Retreive installed gnustep version
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 23:54:37 +0100

Hi,

Ivan Vučica wrote:
On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 10:23 AM, Riccardo Mottola <
riccardo.mottola@libero.it> wrote:

this is against the GNUstep Bundle concept.

If you have instead a real gnustep bundle, it is self-contained.

Trouble is, both GNUstep and Debian are correct here.

Debian people are completely right to break up the package, or else every
software developer would package things to their preference and Debian
would be a mess. It's not that GNUstep approach is wrong, it's that Debian
people try to make every package conform.

Game developers like to throw an executable next to .dlls next to data
files. But, on Debian, all user-accessible executables should be in
/usr/bin. Any internal additional executables (and possibly .so's)?
/usr/libexec/packagename. Any log dumps? /var/log. Any documentation?
/usr/share/doc/packagename.

As a user, I know where to find files on Debian at all times. GNUstep
approach ends up as a casualty.
It is just different. We are speaking here of resources, which may be in a framework or an Application. Debian totally confuses this. It makes sense for general installation where it doesn't really matter, that is, a usual program is not self-contained, a GNUstep Bundle is.

Except the user then knows where to find ALL resources. All resources are
in /usr/share. It has little to do with sharing (the names of the folders
have long ago lost most of the connection to the actual use).
It has to do with that! Why should the user look for that resource? It is a program thing.
But you won't see the Evolution developers adopting the application bundle
approach any time soon. Nor will you see any of the thousands of other
FLOSS GUI application developers adopting the bundle approach any time
soon. So the maintainers of all applications in Debian go through the
process of breaking it up into pieces, patching the application along the
way to work with new paths, just to get a (somewhat!) consistent directory
layout for the users.
It is not. It is not consistent, it is just a hypocritical facade.
Personally, I use Debian-based distributions precisely because if a package
is in the distribution, I can know files will end up in places that are
easy to find. Besides, if a package is installed through dpkg, then it's
managed by dpkg -- installed, updated, uninstalled, even system-wide
reconfigured. One would NOT move the application bundle around even if it
were in one piece...
No, one shouldn't but it was the example of how this system doesn't makes sense. Of course you want to trust your package manager.

I do want my packages maintained by dpkg. But I also want them to be up to
date

The actual issue with Debian packages is that they get rare updates. For
example, I just checked out http://packages.debian.org/gnustep-gui - and
the current release did not update since wheezy. Only in the "experimental"
suite (that no end user in the right state of mind will have installed) do
we see an update to 0.22.0... and there's already a 0.23.1 release. What is
going on there?
No clue....

Applications in Debian packages do need to be broken up for consistency
with the rest of the system. Even if looking at single package such as
ViewPDF makes one wonder what sense it makes, in the big picture, it's
better.
I strongly disagree. It breaks the GNUstep experience.

Also, a user may have the right to install an app from source, along side debian packages. His installed app will be a bundle, making a pretty big mess.

It would be more consistent if ll Debian managed packages would end up as *Bundles* in /System and all user-installed stuff in /Local. System being, of course, not user-wide writable.

That is how I would expect it.

But the slow updates are somewhat inexcusable.

It would be fantastic if the Debian maintainers would chime in with
information of how we could help with getting the packages up to date
faster. I'll try to spend some time over the weekend making the Debian
packages produced by "make deb" actually useful -- e.g. by adding support
for specifying dependencies, package descriptions, etc into GNUmakefiles.

I'll target (and have previously targeted) Ubuntu, but this should
hopefully work with Debian. Perhaps it'll help Philippe when he's updating
his set of packages, too.

For a time I was in contact with Yavor, he also wrote here. I imported several of his debian-local packages!

Riccardo