Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 20:19:28 +0000

Doc,

I love to learn from people who were coding before I was born, but you're projecting more negativity than good plans, lessons, and new code.

Your efforts won't be wasted; even if a particular change in documentation doesn't get upstreamed directly does not mean you can't publish your own. Nicola Pero's tutorials are a really good introduction that I'd point people to; they don't live in central project repo nor on the website. (And checking out the web page brings me to a specific proposal: Riccardo, could you add a more prominent link to Nicola's tutorials?)

Philippe's Debian packages are also not hosted by the core project; that didn't stop him.

You weren't stopped from writing agentd. Was it a wasted effort?

I was telling you what to do only in a sense that I saw a lot of hostility and anger (while at the same time you claim everyone else is hostile). I get it, you want GNUstep to be more like OS X. I would too. I went to the meeting in Cambridge (thanks once again to David for kindly organizing it), met with developers, got the opinions in person, discussed what is realistic to achieve.

Some people are interested mostly in using GNUstep it as a core library for server software. Some are interested in using GNUstep as a NeXT desktop replacement. Some would like to use it as OS X alternative, and others yet want to use it as a core to grow beyond both NeXT and OS X. (Please take a look at Eric's and Quentin's excellent work on Core Object and what Etoile tries to do.) Finally, some people would prefer GNUstep to be a very small and lean platform that makes the most out of even some very ancient hardware.

Would you care to join us at the meeting this year, wherever the meeting ends up being?

Because as an experienced person you must realize that goals you are setting are too large. Attracting OS X and iOS developers is a good goal, but too large. Let's chop it up into pieces. Let's see what could be achieved by one motivated developer within next 3 months.

Then the person proposing the change should sit down and make it, because noone else will.