Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 19:45:14 +0100

Hi,

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
GNU is not UNIX. I would say: the goal is to develop an Unix but not being
UNIX(TM). Or in other words: an operating system based on general concepts of Unix
that is useful for daily work. But free&open.

But that is my personal interpretation which may be completely wrong.
Then what is Unix? Besides the basic operating system it is a loosely coupled collection of tools. Unix is and always has been freedom of hardware, open standards and such stuff. Unix compared e.g. to VMS and MVS and Windows later.

Thus it is perfectly admissible to have several environments.. gtk along gnustep!

After all, there is vi as emacs in unix, sh vs csh (or bash versus tcsh) :) With the same philosphy of shell freedom, it is fine for us to have more than one backend, more than one supported platform and several goals!

In business life every project has a rationale and is embedded in higher level projects.
The ultimate goals of an organization (company or charity or religion or government) is
defined by the "president" (prepared by some strategy development committee).
He has to listen to the project members and understand their needs of course or won't be
elected again...
But this is not business, this is OpenSource. This is why it is so difficult to
guide, but this is alsy why it is so resilient. A business would never have
worked for almost 20 years on something like GNUstep. Yet GNUstep is now
something valuable, powerful and usable for many goals!
Yes, the difference is that there is no means to push people to do something.
And that is good. But it is still possible to pull people into some direction,
by giving attractive goals or challenges.
Indeed! or sometimes otherwise tickle their interest in a good way. Rewards come in many ways, including recognition, exposure.. or gadgets, events... or "fun". At the end if you don't get paid for it, you need some fun.

I took up coding and fixed bugs on application I did not care about.. a bit for the fun, a bit because certain people showed interest and I had some "gnustep pride" that things should work again!

Riccardo