Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Germán Arias
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 12:56:34 -0600

Hi Markus

On 2013-12-20 04:55:08 -0600 Markus Hitter <mah@jump-ing.de> wrote:

> Am 20.12.2013 11:04, schrieb Ivan Vučica:
>> Yes, Unity comes very close to what I want.
>>
>> How well does it integrate with GNUstep?
>
> A few weeks ago I tried with Phillipes' GNUmail package(s) and the
> ovservation is, the app works very well on its intended purpose, but
> pretty much fights what's already there on all the (non-essential)
> "desktop" bits.
>
> - The app icon shows up in the launcher dock, still GNUstep tries to
> form its own dock NeXTstep-style.

Don't want you an AppIcon? Just set GSSuppressAppIcon to YES in
SystemPreferences.

> - GNUmail uses neither an in-window menu nor the global one, the
> provided menu in a separate window often gets focus wrong, sometimes
> these menus even jump upwards when releasing the mouse button.
> Apparently there's some disagreement about screen size, sometimes the
> size of the menu bar is taken into account, sometimes not. And why, the
> heck, does a menu reorder its position on mouse release? Looks like
> overengineering.

I solved some problems with menus in svn. But could you send the steps
to reproduce these issues? So I can test if these are still presents. What style
of menu are you using?

> - Some of the menu entries are visible, but of no use when using a
> single GNUstep app. For example services.

Maybe we can disable this entry if there aren't items.

Germán.