Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 12:20:34 +0100

Hi,

Ivan Vučica wrote:

I would agree, if the current free desktop environments were acceptably usable to me.

I personally would love to bring about a simple desktop environment built around GNUstep, so that I can "dogfood" GNUstep. Currently, I cannot be efficient in a WindowMaker+GWorkspace-based environment; I'm simply missing too many things or too many little things annoy me.

How about starting with a window manager that does several things I'm really used to: - knows the concept of a global menu (but does not try to be the center of your life like Unity, instead trying to get out of the way) - knows the concept of a document-per-X11-window so I can quickly access a folder where a document is saved
- can pick up notifications and store them away for quick retrieval
- has a nice decoration that happens to be close to what the underlying GUI toolkit uses
- uses animations and compositing tastefully
- does not (necessarily) include a dock, but launches it and plays nicely with it

That's a really short list which might form a nice basis of a desktop environment. Working on it should be a fun journey in itself. Who knows, maybe along the way this thing can pick up a few NeXT purists as well (and be shaped by their needs and wishes).

There are people who would love WindowMaker improvement or rewrite, better GWorkspace integration, bla bla.

Start doing them and analyzing them You may find a home on sourceforge, github or whatever. Or inside a project larger like GAP or Etoilé.

Or even gnustep itself? motivate the inclusion.. and our project leader will need to argument against it or for it.

Fork an existing project to start with? If you do things nicely, part of the improvements may flow back or even the fork will become the new thread (remember gcc vs. egcs?)

where are the problems? what does this have to do with a "failure"? what does this have to do with kickstarter?

Riccardo