Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: Kickstarter was not successful... but it did help things...
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 02:16:57 +0100

Am 20.12.2013 01:16, schrieb Gregory Casamento:
> ​GNUstep can't control how it's packaged.   Debian and others do this on
> their own.​  It would be nice to do our own packages officially available
> in our own package repo.

Of course it can. Packaging is just as open source as anything. You can
invite packagers to discuss their issues here, you can pick downstream
patches into the GNUstep repo, you can try to align GNUstep sources with
what packagers need (e.g. add a debian/ directory), you can, perhaps as
a last resort, do the packaging on yourself. Packagers unlikely reject
such efforts.

IIRC, there's still the disagreement regarding wether to install
frameworks or headers/libraries/auxiliary stuff separate. The prefered
GNUstep way doesn't match typical Linux distro guidelines. Accepting
this to be an actual problem would be a first step.

Looking at the popularity of Mac OS X & Co. there might be a chance to
get Debian people into accepting a place for frameworks, alongside the
places for the traditionally distributed stuff. /usr/framework, perhaps?

Markus

--
Dipl. Ing. (FH) Markus Hitter