Re: Repositories

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Repositories
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 20:09:05 -0500

The GNUstep repo is a set of repos using external references.  The trunk directory is there for convenience.

My scripts did all of what you describe below and in addition separated all of the apps and libs into distinct repositories.

I'm not sure checking them out like below would do all of the above.   I will certainly give it a try and see.

Thanks. GC

On Friday, December 20, 2013, Markus Hitter wrote:
Am 21.12.2013 00:48, schrieb Gregory Casamento:
> The repositories on GitHub were one way mirrors but I had code in my
> scripts that would migrate changes made on the for side back to svn.
> The only person who has direct access to that repo was me so it was
> experimental.
>
> If anyone knows of a set if scripts which can maintain such a mirror
> I would be interested. For the gnustep mirror I had to write my own.

Uhm ... stitching a few bits I've done together:

Preparing it:

  git svn clone http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/trunk gnustep
  cd gnustep
  git remote rename origin gna    # to prevent accidents
  git remote add github <URL of Github repo>

Do regularly:

  git pull gna && git push -f github

The first line of this is for trunk/master only. For branches I'm
currently not sure how git-svn translates them.

Regarding bringing changes on the Git side back to SVN: I think this can
be done manually, only, because there's always a (pretty likely) chance
of a conflict. Even successfully auto-merged commits mess sometimes up,
e.g. if two people apply the same change in slightly different places.

Of course it's no problem to apply a Git commit as patch to a SVN repo.
How about emailing them?

  git fetch github
  git checkout github/master
  git format-patch --keep-subject master
  mail ... 00*
  rm 00*
  git checkout master
  git pull gna && git push -f github  # as above

Markus