Re: Opinion polls UIKit and Website...

From: Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller
Subject: Re: Opinion polls UIKit and Website...
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 16:51:16 +0100

Am 20.12.2013 um 16:30 schrieb Graham Lee:

> On 20 Dec 2013, at 15:14, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@goldelico.com> wrote:
>

>> Am 20.12.2013 um 16:05 schrieb David Chisnall:

>>> If we're moving anything, I'd actually be in favour of Option 3: Move
>>> everything to GitHub.  That gives us:
>> […]
>>>
>>> While GitHub is far from perfect, it's a lot less bad than any of the
>>> alternatives I've seen, unless you have the manpower to host all of the
>>> infrastructure yourself.
>>
>> ++
>
> And here.

BTW: although this looks like an opinion poll as the subject is indicating, we
are doing an opinion statement here, trying to convince others. But usually
only 3 or 4 statements like ours appear and then it is neither clear if this is
a majority opinion and the discussion goes into another direction. And the 3 or
4 statements are lost and no action is taken.

A better opinion poll would  run for let's say 4 weeks, be prominently
announced (so that it is not embedded in a long discussion) and ask e.g.:

Which source code repository would you like to use for GNUstep:

1. technology
a) svn
b) git
c) mercurial
d) cvs
e) other (please specify)

2. forge
a) savannah
b) gna
c) github
d) gitorius
e) sourceforge
f) other (please specify)

3. bug tracker
a) savannah
b) gna
c) github
d) gitorius
e) sourceforge
f) other (please specify)

This would give a much better picture than if we answer ++ or + or "no, I
think...".

BR,
Nikolaus