Re: Opinion polls UIKit and Website...

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Opinion polls UIKit and Website...
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 14:10:24 +0000

On 20 Dec 2013, at 13:18, Richard Frith-Macdonald
<richardfrithmacdonald@gmail.com> wrote:

>> (and I wonder how many people find the source mirror on github and think
>> there hasn’t been a commit in over three months, too).
>
> I agree ... mirroring to github seems to have been a mistake.  I'm pretty
> sure Greg wrote warnings with it to say it was a reads-only mirror, but
> warnings are not sufficient as people don't read/notice them.

Having a buggy mirror on GitHub is a mistake, but for LLVM and FreeBSD we've
found it increases the number of contributors if done correctly.  GitHub, much
as I dislike its UI, is one of the least-bad hosting providers out there for
open source projects and is very popular.  We're using it for a few projects
here because it's the easiest way of setting up something that everyone can use.

One of the side effects of git sucking so much is that lots of people have
written good tools around it so that most of the time you can avoid having to
interact with git.

Oh, and one of the less-advertised features on github is that all of the git
repos there are also svn repos.  You can do an svn co of a GitHub repo and it
Just Works™.  I think they're also adding hg.

There's also an ObjC framework for the GitHub API, but I don't know if anyone's
tried it with GNUstep: https://github.com/octokit/octokit.objc

I would actually be in favour of making the GitHub repository the authoritative
one, as it lets you work with git or svn and it's a lot more approachable for
new developers than gna.org.

David

-- Sent from my STANTEC-ZEBRA