Re: Opinion polls UIKit and Website...

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Opinion polls UIKit and Website...
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 12:00:20 +0000

On 20 Dec 2013, at 11:34, Graham Lee <graham@iamleeg.com> wrote:

> On 20 Dec 2013, at 10:50, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:
>

>> On the UIKit side... patches welcome.
>
> That assertion is not demonstrated in practice. There are bugs with patches
> attached in Savannah going back years, and the patches section has something
> still there from 2004. Saying “we want patches” is one thing, but if they’re
> not accepted then contributors will feel unwelcome and will move on.

Solrry Graham, but that's reading thjings completely wrongly ... of course
there are patches still around but that's not a measure of the patches which
have been accepted!

Certainly some patches aren't accepted (and can't be accepted) for various
reasons, but generally patches *do* get accepted and mainteners of the various
parts of the project do their best to edit faulty patches into shape so that
they can be used (this is very different from many projects where maintainers
often repeatedly tell people to re-do patches until they are in perfect
condition to apply).

I agree that it looks bad to leave patches around for years (usually waiting
for the contributers to revise them, assign copyright, or even just clarify
their intentions), and it would be good for those older patches (which are
realistically never going to be updated/fixed by the contributors) to be
removed.
But really the openness to patches is amply demonstrated by the fact that there
are so few which don't get used!