Re: Up-to-date GNUStep core now available as Debian/Ubuntu packages

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: Up-to-date GNUStep core now available as Debian/Ubuntu packages
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2014 13:05:06 +0100

Am 31.12.2013 23:50, schrieb Philippe Roussel:
> Hi Markus
>
> On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 02:13:56PM +0100, Markus Hitter wrote:
>>
>> On which host could I do this? For myself I have only a commodity PC
>> available which is turned off when I'm on vacation or at sleep. Updating
>> the packages is about 15 minutes of CPU time per update, minimum space
>> requirement about 250 MB. Doing the actual build is not part of the
>> update process, that's done on the Launchpad servers.
>
> If all you need is some disk space and cpu, I could give you ssh
> access on the machine I use(d) to build debian packages. It's behind a
> dsl line so with limited upload bandwith but it should suffice.

Given the resounding silence from Gregory, Richard and Adam, one can
probably forget about moving such an effort to one of the FSF servers,
so this one is very welcome. Not only for building the packages, also
for making sure this can be done remotely in a comfortable fashion.

Bandwidth isn't much of an issue, the biggest package so far is -base
with about 5MB upload.

> Are you interested in the debian/ directories of the packages I built
> ? Here's the list :

Looks impressive! Can I invite you to join packaging? Then you can apply
them yourselfs with not more effort than sending them to me.

As I slowly gain experience with packaging it should soon be possible to
add these debian/ dirs to the SCM repo even without Debian packagers
wanting this. That's IMHO the only way to go, because as-is, changes to
the packaging setup can be done in the middle of building the package
and without SCM only, which is very error-prone.

A few additional questions came up:

How did you solve the conflict between Debian packagers naming their
second instance of the libobjc package for gcc "libobjc2" and the
like-named, real libobjc2?

What about ABI compatibility? Is this an issue? I see Donovan and Gürkan
named the packages for -base and -gui with a version number, like
"gnustep-gui0.24" This way one can install both, gnustep-gui0.22 and
gnustep-gui0.24, in parallel. Is this neccessary? Does it even work to
run two installations of GNUstep in parallel? For now I removed this
version number in the package name, not sure wether this was a good idea.

I hope I can soon use clang and libobjc2 for their non-fragile ABI. Do
these need a differently named package for parallel installation? I
guess not, because non-fragile claims to be compatible with fragile, but
I'm not sure.

Markus

--
Dipl. Ing. (FH) Markus Hitter