Re: Up-to-date GNUStep core now available as Debian/Ubuntu packages

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Up-to-date GNUStep core now available as Debian/Ubuntu packages
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2014 21:13:51 +0100

Hi,

Markus Hitter wrote:
What about ABI compatibility? Is this an issue? I see Donovan and Gürkan
named the packages for -base and -gui with a version number, like
"gnustep-gui0.24" This way one can install both, gnustep-gui0.22 and
gnustep-gui0.24, in parallel. Is this neccessary? Does it even work to
run two installations of GNUstep in parallel? For now I removed this
version number in the package name, not sure wether this was a good idea.
it was always problematic, I don't know if there were debian policies for that, but a full-rebuild is much better.

Another VERY important thing that Debian often forgot is that you have to compile all packages with a certain GCC version. Often in Debian unstable it happened that you had certain packages done with version X and others with X+1, but this caused mixed runtimes and just segfaults. Not all gcc versions trigger such an incompatibility, but several did. It took time to understand what happened, I used to open bug reports for that, but the slow response time with official Debian packages frustrated me.

Riccardo