FHS filesystem layout issues [was: Re: Request for update and/or release

From: Niels Grewe
Subject: FHS filesystem layout issues [was: Re: Request for update and/or release of GDL2 and Renaissance]
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 14:42:08 +0000

Am 30.01.2014 um 14:57 schrieb Markus Hitter <mah@jump-ing.de>:

> Am 30.01.2014 14:44, schrieb David Chisnall:
>> when someone posts inaccurate and insulting mischaracterisations of
>> the project to the list.  If you believe that it is a flame war when
>> someone calls you out for posting nonsense
>
> Perhaps I should have been clearer. I actually did try to package
> GNUstep, so what you call "nonsense" is actual experience. The result is
> here:
>
> (first attempt)
> https://launchpad.net/~mah-jump-ing/+archive/ppa/+packages
>
> (second try)
> https://launchpad.net/~gnustep-dev/+archive/weekly/+packages
>
> First try results in something not working not well enough to build an
> application. Second try with very vague results. More than a dozen
> patches required, bundle-style stuff ripped apart to align with FHS
> demands. Still pictures in /usr/lib, where they don't belong by FHS
> standards. This isn't packaging, but porting.

Two things:

1. I don’t understand why you are not reporting these problems to the list or
the bug tracker. Multiple people have repeatedly stated their willingness to
help you (but, understandably, not their willingness to be insulted), so I
don’t think you have a good reason to withhold them.

2. The links you provide are not actually very helpful, I click myself through
quite a few launchpad pages to get to where the actual packaging scripts were.
So I can only hope that these are the right ones:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~thopiekar/gnustep/gnustep-make-packaging/files
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~thopiekar/gnustep/gnustep-base-packaging/files

The rules file in the base packaging seems to move stuff around when
installing. In my opinion that’s not the right approach: If there are problems
with the FHS filesystem layout, theses should be fixed in -make  (though
changes to base might be needed if that affects resource loading from bundles).
 I think we can sort this out if you can provide us with a list of things where
we deviate from the FHS standard.

Best regards,

Niels