GNUstep on Android

From: Mathias Bauer
Subject: GNUstep on Android
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 12:40:00 +0100

Hi,

what is the current status for GNUstep base on Android?

I did some research and found some activity, but mostly older stuff. Nowadays one year already is quite old. :-)

From an external view point I see the following possible problems:

- as Linux/ARM showed us, exception handling and unwinding on ARM don't work properly with clang <= 3.4, but that's the clang version used by the Android NDK; so should we expect similar problems there?

- I couldn't find reliable information about libdispatch on Android, and AFAIR Android does not have a fully compliant implemenation of pthreads, so I'm concerned if the pthread-workingqueue lib (a prerequisite of libdispatch) works on Android

- GNUstep base has some prerequisites like libxml2 etc.; I think they all need to be compiled for Android also

- I wonder if there is an NSNetServices implementation in GNUstep that works on Android

I know that there is apportable.com, but they claim not to use GNUstep anymore, so this does not give any hints about the feasability of using GNUstep/libobjc2/libdispatch for porting Objective-C code (at least code that does not use GUI classes) from iOS to Android.

Regards,
Mathias