Re: Copyright assignment requirement

From: Luboš Doležel
Subject: Re: Copyright assignment requirement
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 10:36:00 +0200

On Tue, 3 Jun 2014 09:10:24 +0100, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
On the issue of copyright my feeling is similar but different;
I know people hate the admin process of doing the copyright
assignment (much more than people disliking the principle, though
there are a few of those too), but we need the copyright to be
assigned to the FSF (or some similar arrangement to ensure that all
code in the project is legitimately released under the LGPL license we
are using) because otherwise the companies I deal with really might
have a problem using GNUstep.

In my opinion, FSF should seriously reconsider the assignment process, because it is invalid for most of Europe probably. Around here, I can grant you an exclusive license with the permission to (re)license the code, but I can never assign the copyright to someone else. This is only possible if I were an employee of FSF or if I died and assigned the rights in my last will.

--
Luboš Doležel