Re: Copyright assignment requirement -why stick to "free" software?

From: Gerold Rupprecht
Subject: Re: Copyright assignment requirement -why stick to "free" software?
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 16:53:58 +0200

Hi Gregory, Ricardo,

I recommend continuing to get copyright assignment. It is important for
the users to know where they stand when using GNUstep. Licensing
uncertainty has led to numerous delays in a number of projects.

I personally feel a certain loyalty towards the Free Software Foundation
and their pioneering efforts. They have also promoted our project
several times over the years. Richard Stallman has also from time to
time made inquiries. We fill an important niche in the Free Software
treasure house.

The argument that certain companies are trying to avoid GNU licensed
code is slowly losing out to the reality that proprietary code cannot be
properly or adequately audited.

Auditing is an absolute necessity in all future developments and there
is a certain amount of restructuring already happening.

I have written an article, "After Edward Snowden, are core banking
systems secure?" (originally published at http://www.thewealthnet.com/ )

but you can now read it at

http://www.free-it-foundation.org/article/2013-07-11-after-edward-snowden-are-core-banking-systems-secure

I focus on the banking industry, but I imagine it applies just as well
to your clients.

Do your business clients want to be sovereign over their computing
resources? I certainly think so, and if they are a public, audited
company, it is mandatory. Expect to see the auditing profession to come
down hard against closed, proprietary software soon, particularly that
Edward Snowden has pointed out the extensive level of compromises at all
levels of the software stack actually in use.

This means there is a wholesale restructuring that needs to be
undertaken. Would you want to sign off an auditor's statement today,
knowing what we know about the NSA?

No insurance company in their right mind will be insuring the
auditors... Very few people realize the severity of the problem, and
even fewer are discussing it.

To put it mildly we are in a major IT crisis. The NSA tools can lead a
business or organisation to ruin. The rule of law and constitutional
rights in the USA have been severely abrogated by the NDAA. Many
organisations and businesses are afraid of blackmail and extortion.

Business simply begins to stop functioning properly without the rule of
law and single standards.

I strongly encourage you to prevail with the current road chosen. I
believe we are at a major turning point in software development and we
are on the right side of history.

Free software, with its variants of GNU licenses is the only way at this
time to guarantee the user (your client) access to the underlying source
code, the right to modify it and to redistribute it.

I welcome your comments.

Sincerely,

Gerold Rupprecht