Re: The Swift Programming Language: what is our position towards this?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: The Swift Programming Language: what is our position towards this?
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2014 09:29:01 +0100

On 5 Jun 2014, at 07:52, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns@goldelico.com> wrote:

> Conclusion: a Swift (pre)compiler/translator would reduce the lock to move to
> other platforms...
>
> Would it be difficult to write such a translator to standard Obj-C? IMHO no.
> Just some rolling up sleeves.
> Perhaps someone (unrelated to GNUstep) will pick up and start a project on
> GitHub (even before we have discussed moving GNUstep there :).

Dear God no!  You *might* be able to write a translator from Swift to
Objective-C++ that didn't suck completely, but trying to implement Swift
Generics, overflow-checked arithmetic, and maybe types in Objective-C would be
doomed to give you an implementation that was slow at best, but most likely
buggy and incomplete.

I exchanged a couple of emails with Chris Lattner about open sourcing their
Swift compiler.  They haven't yet made a decision on it, and are currently very
busy getting ready for releases.  My suggestion would be to wait and see.

Swift does look very nicely designed.  The syntax is clean (unlike recent Apple
versions of Objective-C), the semantics are consistent and coherent, and it
fixes almost all of the things that annoy me about Objective-C.

David

-- Sent from my STANTEC-ZEBRA