Re: The Swift Programming Language: what is our position towards this?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: The Swift Programming Language: what is our position towards this?
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 14:46:35 +0200

Hi Johannes,

Lundberg, Johannes wrote:
They seem to experience huge difference in speed comparing Obj-C / C to Swift.
The same guys write also:

For example, we don’t use – surprise! – Automatic Reference Counting at Splasm because, frankly, it’s around 40% slower in some cases, so we’ll leave ARC off and take that 40% back (and we enjoy manual memory management, thank you very much).  Other teams wouldn’t give up ARC even if paint dried faster.  Did I say ‘if’?  Different teams.  Different values.

To each is own then, the best we can do is provide choice. I do code Objective-C 1.0 with manual memory management (wlthough I wouldn't say I "enjoy" it).
Others want it differently....

the best thing I can hope is that the existence of Swift doesn't need changes in core. The ideal scenario is where Obj-c 1/2, Swift and other languages can coexist... Java faded away seemigly and instead of Swift I'd prefer SmallTalk...

Riccardo

Riccardo