Re: Wondering if ~/GNUstep shouldn't be ~/.GNUstep (i.e. hidden..)

From: Philippe Roussel
Subject: Re: Wondering if ~/GNUstep shouldn't be ~/.GNUstep (i.e. hidden..)
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2014 06:48:24 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 04, 2014 at 03:07:51PM -0600, Stefan wrote:

> On November 4, 2014 2:57:09 PM CST, Gregory Casamento
> <greg.casamento@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Stefan,
> >
> >If you look at the bug, part of the issue is that people who don't
> >know that the tool they are using utilizes GNUstep are upset because
> >it creates a "GNUstep" folder in the home directory.   I kind of agree
> >with this sentiment as I really don't like tools setting up
> >directories directly in my home directory either so I can see where
> >they're coming from.
> >
> >With respect to freedesktop, are you suggesting something akin to:
> >
> >~./config/GNUstep/...
> >
> >Is that what you have in mind?
>
> No, I'm suggesting a more radical approach where only the defaults directory
> would be moved to ~/.config and the rest of the structure, which will
> normally not exist at all, be moved to ~/. In this case, it would look
> something like:
>
> GNUstep/Library/Defaults/ -> .config/
> GNUstep/Library/Libraries/ -> Library/Libraries/
> GNUstep/Applications/ -> Applications/
> Etc...
>
> Most applications do not write anything but defaults to the home directory,
> so the only directory they would use is .config.
>
> Does GNUstep apps normally write anything else to the home directory? I don't
> think so, and that's the assumption I'm moving forward with.

Well, on my setup I have lots of stuff in ~/GNUstep/Library/.

SimpleAgenda writes its local data in ~/GNUstep/Library/SimpleAgenda/
for example and Addresses does the same thing in ~/G/L/Addresses/ etc.
Where would this stuff go ?

Thanks,
Philippe
--
Windows: A 32 bit graphical shell to a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating
system, originally developed for a 4 bit processor by a 2 bit company that do