Re: Is there any way to use ARC in 32-bit?

From: Jens Alfke
Subject: Re: Is there any way to use ARC in 32-bit?
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 08:55:43 -0800

> On Jan 28, 2015, at 12:55 AM, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:
>
> It sounds like you're using an OS where clang defaults to the GCC runtime
> (some Linux variant probably).

Current Ubuntu 14.10, 32-bit, x86, just downloaded and installed on Monday.
I installed clang and gnustep via apt-get.

> You'll need to add -fobjc-runtime=gnustep-1.7.

Sorry if this sounds entitled, but shouldn't the GNUstep install process
already configure the right compiler options? I'm a bit frazzled after spending
a day messing with environment variables and paths to even get as far as I have
— and I've found almost no advice or instructions online (except for docs that
are at least seven years old and clearly out of date.) If there are current,
supported instructions for installing a GNUstep development environment, please
let me know where they are!

Below is a command line generated by the makefile. I see "-fgnu-runtime" but no
"-fobjc-runtime" flag.

—Jens

(echo " Compiling file Source/CBJSONEncoder.m ...";clang Source/CBJSONEncoder.m
-c \
      -MMD -MP -DGNU_RUNTIME=1 -DGNUSTEP_BASE_LIBRARY=1 -fno-strict-aliasing
-fexceptions -fobjc-exceptions -D_NA
TIVE_OBJC_EXCEPTIONS -pthread -fPIC -Wall -DGSWARN -DGSDIAGNOSE -Wno-import -g
-O2 -fblocks -Werror -Wall -DDEBUG
=1 -I/usr/include/GNUstep -fgnu-runtime -include Source/CouchbaseLitePrefix.h
-fobjc-arc -ISource -ISource/API -I
Source/ChangeTracker -Ivendor/MYUtilities -Ivendor/google-toolbox-for-mac
-Ivendor/fmdb/src -Ivendor/yajl/build/y
ajl-2.0.5/include -I./derived_src -I. -I/home/snej/GNUstep/Library/Headers
-I/usr/local/include \
       -o obj/CouchbaseLite.obj/Source/CBJSONEncoder.m.o)