Re: Is there any way to use ARC in 32-bit?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Is there any way to use ARC in 32-bit?
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 09:10:16 +0000

On 28 Jan 2015, at 18:31, David Chisnall <theraven@sucs.org> wrote:

> On 28 Jan 2015, at 17:49, Richard Frith-Macdonald
> <richardfrithmacdonald@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> When tryiung to move people over to using clang and libobjc2, everyone seems
>> to have problems with building libobjc2 because of its cmake dependency :-(
>
> People who can't manage:
>
> $ mkdir Build ; cd Build
> $ cmake ..
> $ ccmake . # Optional, only do if you want to enter the curses UI to tweak
> configure options
> $ make && make install
>
> Probably are going to struggle with a lot of other things too...

Heh ... everything is simple if/when it works.  There are also people who
struggle with:

$ configure ... # Optional ... e.g. if you want to depend on stuff installed
strangely
$ make install

>> I can certainly help with discussions and patch integration for gnustep-make
>> to better use clang, but almost as useful would be building libobjc2 without
>> requiring cmake.
>
> You are *far* more likely to find developers familiar with CMake than GNUstep
> Make (or, in fact, pretty much any other build system).  To put some real
> numbers on this, in the FreeBSD ports tree there are 1018 ports that use
> CMake, 90 that use GNUstep Make.  For comparison, there are 399 that use
> autotools.

Different worlds ... on FreeBSD that's roughly 2:1 cmake to autotools, but I
guess it looks different in non-bsd systems.
I'm dealing with people using flavours of gnu/linux.
I have no idea what typical ms-windows people do when faced with either
autoconf or cmake ...