Re: GORM and NSCollectionView

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GORM and NSCollectionView
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 18:07:14 +0100

Fred Kiefer wrote:
- As for the white part I also found the source. The most likely reason
was that we tell X11 somewhere to fill the window with the
background_pixel and we never use setbackgroundcolor:: to change this
value. I made a quick check and changed the default value in -window::::
from white into black and really did get a black flickering.
I then experimented with the setbackgroundcolor:: method, but that never
gets called and it wouldn't work correctly anyway if we just change the
background colour of the content view, not the one of the window.
The actual setting of the window background was in the XCreateWindow()
call and I just removed the CWBackPixel there. This might worsen things
for the xlib backend, but we can look into that after somebody complains.

Now the flickering is gone for me. I still have the other problem of
corrupted subview display after extensive resize, but I wont be looking
into that today. I just will commit my changes and you all should try to
test them with different conditions, maybe even the OpenGL?

I see a general improvement, much less flickering. I don't know if it is slower or not, can't say as I was in a VM, I'll test on real hardware soon.
Cairo works better, no black flickering.
Xlib seems to have less flickering too and I don't see problems. What kind of worsening would you expect? Performance? Worse flickering?

Riccardo