Re: NeXT GNU Homage Project Work

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: NeXT GNU Homage Project Work
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 15:28:45 +0100

Hi,

Adam S wrote:

Slight tangent ... Would adopting an unmaintained OS help our cause?

I spoke to the owner of http://www.aiei.ch/gnustep/

He's happy for someone else to pick it up and use it or develop it.

Just a thought. What do you think?

mixed feelings. Why the first live CD was a nice, novel idea... it did not develop in a nice showcase of GNUstep at all. Essentially, it depends on the apckages built for Debian, so you depend on what's there.

You have two routes to make an "GNUstep OS"
1) Take an existing distribution (be it Linux or GNUstep) and use also their GNUstep packages as is and essnetially make a live cd, VM image or whatever 2) take an existing distribution, but then build your GNUstep packages on top

The LiveCD you mention went route 1), but that leads to obsolete packages if you follow a distribution which has old packages. What do you do for Applications that are not packaged/missing? I would not suggest this route, and in case use something that supports GS with bette rup-to-date pcakges. FreeBSD as David suggests, OpenBSD and Gentoo are quite fine to my knowledge too, NetBSD was too last time I checked. Debian/Ubuntu sadly not.

If you take route 2) you have much more freedom.... but of course, different problems and more work for yourself. That is the route Richard Stonehouse did for his ready to use VM. You might take advantage of Ivan's debian packages: he is working on them and perhaps they work fine with raspbian.

Riccardo