Re: Plans for ahead

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Plans for ahead
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 10:32:28 +0000

On 29 Nov 2015, at 19:40, James Carthew <jcarthew@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm going to weigh in here in the UI discussions. I come from a mainly user
> background. A couple observations. Yes gnustep is a bit ugly, but that's not
> really my biggest concern. I have been trying to run GNUStep as a desktop
> environment mostly to replace OSX on Linux.

One thing that I have learned, from Étoilé and other projects, is that you are
almost guaranteed to fail if you do not have an incremental adoption path.  No
matter how good GNUstep is, you will not persuade most people to ditch their
existing application suite in a single step.  This is why being able to run
things like OpenOffice and Firefox has been so good for desktop Linux: you get
people to switch to a new web browser, then you get them to switch to a new
office suite, then you switch them to a few more cross-platform applications,
and then replacing their desktop OS is the easy step.

This is why things like the GNOME theme[1] are absolutely essential and why,
contrary to some of my earlier opinions, I think that having apps that run on
both GNUstep and Cocoa are important.  If people use and enjoy using GNUstep
applications, this makes it easier to attract developers.  If you attract
developers, then it’s easy to develop more apps.  Once you have a large enough
ecosystem, then a pure-GNUstep (or, at least, mostly-GNUstep) environment
becomes possible.

On the web browser front, I’ll note that the Chrome UI absolutely sucks when it
comes to integration with the surrounding environment, yet Chrome and Chromium
are very successful.  I think that, given the wide variety of UIs on the web in
general, a lot of people are willing to put up with a web browser that doesn’t
integrate well with their platform UI.  Having a native GNUstep web browser is
a huge engineering effort and should not be a priority yet.

David

[1] Or, rather, a better GNOME theme, that also picks up things like the
shortcut keys used for navigating in a text field.  It took Qt over a decade to
get this right on OS X, which is one of the main reasons that Qt apps are
painful to use on a Mac.

-- Sent from my brain