Re: Installing gnustep from version control sources

From: bertrand
Subject: Re: Installing gnustep from version control sources
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 18:08:56 +0200

Le lundi 16 avril 2018 à 08:41 +0200, Mick Bert a écrit :

> > The matter on ppc is that libobjc2 cannot be used with clang for now (see
> > https://github.com/gnustep/libobjc2/issues/65)
> > I didn't try to build it with gcc.
> The issue I have is different: it looks the assembler does not
> recognise the assembly generated files

I didn't mention it earlier but you'll have to build libojc2 using
"-integrated-as", because "gas" (which is the default) fails on ppc.
I do this before building libobjc2 :

export CC='clang -integrated-as'
export CXX='clang++ -integrated-as'

> > So you should build gnustep with gcc, without libobjc2. It should run on any
> > ppc distro (I use it on a daily basis on debian wheezy which is a older).
> > Building should be straigthforward.
> >
> > You'll have to clone git repos :
> > git clone git://github.com/gnustep/libs-make
> > git clone git://github.com/gnustep/libs-base
> > git clone git://github.com/gnustep/libs-gui
> > git clone git://github.com/gnustep/libs-back
> >
> Done it, thanks.
> But it would be great to have an up-to-date guide reachable from the
> web-site, don't you agree?

I do. In fact my plan was to do such a guide for ppc (doesn't exist
yet), but I'm stuck for now because of libobjc2.
Maybe you could help debugging the issue I pointed before for ppc. I
can't.

Moreover, David Chisnall was asking for help to write the missing ppc
assembly files in libobjc2 (this causes some tests no to build), but I
can't help.

Bertrand