Re: GNUMail: Loading messages from a large mailbox

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: GNUMail: Loading messages from a large mailbox
Date: Sat, 19 May 2018 09:40:06 +0200

Hi,

On 2018-05-19 00:19:33 +0200 Svetlana Tkachenko <svetlana@members.fsf.org> wrote:

Hello all,

With GNUMail I have a large directory with 19,000 messages in it. When I

I don't htink the size is relevant here, I have also 10k and more messages in mailboxes, although I did some cleaning lately.

select one to read it adds a line to console 'loading message from the mailbox'. When I click on another one a second such line appears which is normal. Then I click the first message again and a third line appears which I think is not normal since it is identical to the first one.

Each message issues a load, so the behaviour is normal, however certain messages do not load. Sometimes this causes issues also with subsequent messages. You may stop them, change to another mailbox and see if other messages get loaded. Wait after the maailbox has opened and select "another" message the next time.. does the issue happen always or only with certain messges? If GNUMail always opens the first message, there is an expert setting to disable that behaviour.

I suppose that certain specific message(s) have issues and do not get loaded. This was happening to me or Sebastain in the past. Issues could be problems in parsing the headers, problems with escapes, characterset encodings.

To solve the issue (apart from thecking for errors in console and/or exceptions) it is necessary to determine which message(s) cause the issue, isolate them and debug.

Is you mailbox IMAP? Then work can be done using another mail client to check, move the problematic message in anothe mailbox, check the headers and even save it to enable somebody else to reproduce the issue. if it is Local or POP3 and you do not leave the messages on server, the only existing copy is on your local machine and this will make things complicated I fear.

Also it takes more than 5 minutes to load the message, I am still waiting.

I suppose it is not 5 minutes, it is "forever".

GNUMail latest from gnustep-nonfsf repository; Debian buster/sid.

While running latest, you should please confirm the status of other open issues you had and report back. Check that it is really latest.

Riccardo

--
Sent with GNUMail