Re: gnustep demo for macos

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: gnustep demo for macos
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2019 16:33:43 +0000

Hi Tomas, and welcome!

Most (but definitely not all) interesting GUI things in GNUstep are
already available on macOS, and same goes for most 'base' libraries.

It's been many years since I wanted to, but gave up on, get -base
('Foundation') and -gui ('AppKit') running on macOS, and as many years
since I gave up. While it's likely possible to build more than just
'additions' on macOS, I'd really recommend just running another *NIX
system (FreeBSD, something based on GNU and Linux) and doing the usual
dance of installing dependencies, ./configure, make, sudo -E make
install. Do this for gnustep-make, gnustep-base and gnustep-gui.

You may optionally build libobjc2 runtime before gnustep-make.

And you must 'source' GNUstep.sh after installing gnustep-make.
Usually you'd punch in ".
/usr/local/share/GNUstep/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh" into bash after
installing gnustep-make, but this path may change depending on how
your environment and how you ran ./configure.

If you choose to run Ubuntu in the VM or on a physical machine, there
should be recent-enough instructions online which we may be able to
help you out with, in case something goes wrong. (Using Ubuntu or
Debian is my personal recommendation. Again, that's my personal
preference.) The instructions for running under Ubuntu are pretty much
a 'nice script'.

If you choose to use macOS, then consider that Apple has very decent
documentation for Cocoa, and because Cocoa covers most of what
gnustep-base and gnustep-gui would offer, there was little incentive
to try to make [majority of] GNUstep core libraries work.