Re: gnustep demo for macos

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: gnustep demo for macos
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2019 18:45:37 +0000

On 9 Mar 2019, at 18:40, Dale Amon <amon@vnl.com> wrote:

> It depends on where you are coming from Ivan. In my case I am
> working on totally commercial high end data acquisition with a
> strictly controlled and regression tested code base. My preference
> would be to be able to reliably (as in not kill people. I am *NOT*
> joking... ask Greg) compile the same known code base and use it on
> any of the major environments, and then do a local regression test
> using the same test process in that environment.

How advanced users choose to use the LGPL’d code offered by the project is, of
course, totally up to them :-)

What advanced users choose to do on macOS does not necessarily match something
I would advise a well-meaning newcomer to do, especially unless I believe
there’s *at least some* other people would be able to help them out in case
they run into trouble.

I don’t recall any chatter about someone successfully running full GNUstep
stack under macOS for the last few years, and I have observed core developers
with MacBooks running the software in a VM. So I’m personally advising
beginners not to attempt this.

Your differing advice — and appropriate help in case of trouble — are, of
course, very welcome! :-)